CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW TO READ OUR MOST POPULAR ARTICLES
connect with us
Ammonia can be very dangerous to the health of both animals and people. Studies have concluded that even low levels of ammonia can cause stress to an animal’s respiratory system. It is therefore extremely important to control ammonia within confined spaces.
For many years people have used and continue to use hydrated lime to help rid their barns and stables of ammonia and the smell that accompanies it. However, studies have found that hydrated lime may be doing more harm than good. In fact, specialists at North Carolina State University and North Carolina A&T State University concluded that hydrated lime increases the alkalinity of litter and, in fact, creates more ammonia by converting ammonium into ammonia gas!
Not only is hydrated lime a very short-term solution (that only works to cover up the smell of ammonia) but it can also be a very dangerous product to use. If high concentrations of hydrated lime dust are inhaled, irritation to the respiratory tract will occur. Dermatitis can result from prolonged exposure and repeated skin contact and a risk of severe and permanent eye damage exists if hydrated lime comes in contact with the eyes. The product can cause burns in the presence of moisture and will cause irritation of the gastrointestinal tract when ingested. Personal protective equipment should be worn at all times when using hydrated lime.
Alternatives to hydrated lime, such as Barn Fresh, are all natural and safe solutions that will work to absorb liquids and ammonia. Barn Fresh, for example, contains diatomaceous earth and calcium bentonite, making it safe to use with all types of animals, even if ingested.
Natural products like Barn Fresh are much more effective and safer to use than hydrated lime.
Image by Jamie Skelton
VIEW BY CATEGORY
FIND A DISTRIBUTOR NEAR YOU
Tell Me More About
Share your stories, hints & tricks, or simply
send us a quick note to let us know how our natural
absorbents help you.
We would love to hear from you!
We advise that you do your own research on the benefits of Diatomaceous Earth and make your own decisions. Choosing to use the product for uses other than what it is registered for is done solely at the risk of the end-user. We are not in the position to advise the use of our RLE products for any purpose other than what the product is registered for and what is indicated on the packaging.
ABSORBENT PRODUCTS © COPYRIGHT 2012